Wednesday, April 29, 2009

No Name Collins

My sister Michelle went in to her doctor for a regular appointment on Monday and didn't get to leave. They sent her over to the hospital next door to monitor the baby and decided to induce her. She couldn't have picked a better day! Alan had the day off and we were on our way to Ikea (right by the hospital) when I got the phone call. Since we had a few hours until they would get things started Alan and I did our shopping and he dropped me off at the hospital around 2:00pm. They finally got the pitocin started around 5:00pm and she started having contractions right away. They didn't get bad for a few hours but then everything moved crazy fast.
I was so glad that Michelle's mother in law was able to come and help me coach because she's a nicu nurse and she was so calm and knew exactly what to do. I would have to say that I didn't do to bad considering I've never been in labor myself and have no idea how it feels or what to do. I did take the classes years ago and did some crash studying online so that helped. My sister is so amazing, I couldn't believe how strong she was. I think she's a freaken rock star, this is her second time delivering totally natural. She didn't even have pain killers this time, there just wasn't time.
We thought she was at a 4 when all of sudden she felt like she needed to push. The doctor had just come in to check on her and decided to check her again. She was at an 8 and moving fast. She was able to hold off for a little while longer and give all the support doctors and nurses time to get there and get things set up. It was absolute madness for about 30 minutes or so. It was an amazing thing to witness. I'm so grateful for the experience of being able to see a new life brought into this world. Her labor was a total of 6 hours but the more active labor only lasted about 3
hours. My little nephew has no name yet, they just haven't been able to decide what fits him best. So for now he's no name Collins. No name is a cute little bugger, he's charmed everyone that meets him. He weighed in at 7lbs 2oz and was 20 inches long. He has a calm, peaceful demeanor. My brother in law Nick says that'll give him something to thank the Lord for every day. He's like me and we hate to hear a baby cry.
Anyway, here's some picture to tell the story!

Big brother Landon tearing up the hospital.














5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Michelle I said congrats on her new life.

The Owens said...

Oh I'm so happy for Michelle! My son didn't have a name for 5 days after he was born! =)

Hey Karina, I don't know if you remember me, I'm friends of Michelle's and I've met you a few times. Anyways, I just had to tell you that your photography is so good it makes me cry! I had no idea you were into photography. I totally wish I was better at it (I took Michelle and Nick's engagement pictures). I'm going to give you a call sometime this summer and see if you can come and take some pictures of my little family. I saw your website and prices and all that, my question to you is how fast to you book up cause I'm not sure when we can do it yet, but I have to have you =) I'm in love with your pictures! I didn't understand your calendar thing on your website (I'm kinda computer dumb) so if you could please please please write me either on my blog or email to tell me if you have some time this summer and how quick I need to book in advance, that would be amazing! Thank you! =)

joshandrachelowens.blogspot.com or
rachelowens34@yahoo.com

Jennifer said...

Beautiful pictures! Congrats to the fam!

KatSpy said...

You're right...She's a rockstar! I tried delivering elnatural with a pit push and failed. It was soooooooooo hard. Tell her congratulations! And tell Alan he's a rockstar for 1. taking you to Ikea while sis is in labor 2. takin' babes Lu plus the other 3 and which brings me to 3. (feelin' Plain White Tish - he) Gettin a fabulous camera for some amazing pics. ;o)

Karina Rigtrup said...

Kathleen,
Your totally right! Alan is my rock star. I'll keep him around for...ever!